LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Interstate 270 was completely shut down in both directions between the spur and Montrose Road for more than a half hour Tuesday morning as police searched for three people suspected of robbing a nearby bank.
Montgomery County Police say the Wells Fargo Bank on King Farm Boulevard was robbed by two men with guns shortly after 10 a.m. Tuesday. The suspects fled in a silver Kia SUV driven by a third suspect and headed toward I-270.
A Prince George’s County Police helicopter assisting with the search for the suspects located the vehicle on southbound I-270, and the interstate was completely shut down less than 15 minutes later.
Officers with guns drawn searched vehicles that matched the silver SUV description. They eventually located the suspect’s vehicle just south of Tuckerman Lane and the three suspects were taken into custody.
Police found a handgun in the vehicle and the money stolen from the bank was found in a dump truck that had been traveling next to the suspects’ SUV. Police say the suspects threw the money into the dump truck once they realized that the police had located their vehicle.
Authorities lifted northbound travel restrictions about five minutes later, and southbound traffic was allowed to pass shortly later.
The incident came just hours after a high-speed police chase in Virginia ended with seven people being thrown from a vehicle as it crashed on Interstate 95. A 15-year-old girl suffered life-threatening injuries and the six other passengers were seriously hurt in that wreck.
Police have identified the three men in custody as 55-year-old Earl Kenney of Capitol Heights, 40-year-old Michael Heard of Washington, D.C., and 20-year-old Ricko Ford of Forestville.
Kenney and Heard have been charged with armed robbery and using a firearm in the commission of a violent felony. Ford has been charged with armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery. All three are being held in jail pending a bond review hearing.
The comments you are about to read are not from some Truther or Conspiracy Theory Website. This is CBS Local News/Washington D.C.
This is Mainstream America Speaking Out!!!
– T.D.P. Admin.
COMMENTS: AMERICAN’S SPEAK OUT – And they are not Happy!
– If the robbers decided to “shoot it out” the police would of quickly jumped behind cars for protection…who was in those cars? Innocent, unarmed, American Citizens, It would of been like shooting fish in a barrel!”
– “Have you ever thought it might be really easy to take a hostage and create a situation where massive casualties occur by penning a bunch of bank robbers in with the drivers on their morning commute?”
– “Exigent circumstances means stopping Hundreds of Vehicles, filled with thousands of TERRIFIED commuters, for 45 minutes or until the Police say you are no longer detained? Chief Manger and the rest of the people who defend this ought to be FIRED on the spot. Anyone who was caught up in this mess ought to contact The FBI Civil Rights Division, the Maryland State’s Attorney’s Office, the involved police forces to file Internal Affairs Complaints. AND Don’t forget to find a good Civil Rights attorney to Sue these police forces!”
– “And if the SOB”s had a mind too, take everyone hostage, by gunpoint and demand the cops back away! Then the cop’s wouldn’t have thought their move was very cool! THEY (the cop’s) TOOK A RISK WITH EVERYONES LIVES ON THAT FREEWAY TODAY!!!!! THAT IS NOT OK!!!! They should ALL be arrested for violating the 4th amendment, child endangerment, false imprisonment, kidnapping, armed criminal action, and just being stupid, PERIOD!”
– “Keep in mind, 1. the bank’s money is insured. 2. the police risked everyone’s lives on that highway. 3. the FBI is supposed to be the best bank robber catching police force in the world. 4. the police violated OUR rights when they violated the Constitution. 5. the police violated their oath to uphold the law. And, for what? To catch a couple of bank robbers…if you are willing to hear the argument, then you will always find a good enough reason to allow the state to do what it needs to do to protect you.
You should really take the time and think about what you are giving up for what you think you are getting in return.
– “This was not a legitimate policing action, it was a fishing expedition within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment plain and simple.
It was an illegal search of innocent people exercising their right to move about the public right of way in the manner of the day.
You sheep are used to not standing up for your rights.”
– “You might be OK with over-stressed, under trained thugs pointing locked and cocked guns at you, your wife and your kids, but most people are not.”
– “Yeah, maybe next time, when the cops stop traffic, the robbers can take hostages. Brilliant!!!!”
– “Yea we can lock down the whole east coast for 2 two bit bank robbers, While the Bankers and the Pentagon steal trillions. Seems like a waste of manpower going after someone who stole 5000 marked dollars instead of the ones stealing the country blind.”
– “How many families were terrorized in the pursuit of retrieving one crook’s money from the other? Doesn’t matter, right? The masters are more special than the serfs.”
– “In case you haven’t noticed, people are tired of the thuggery. Tired of cops thinking they can just draw their firearms on innocent civilians (including women and children) because they’re sh|tty, pathetic lives are supposedly more important than everyone else.”
– “We used to do this in Iraq, set up a TCP (tactical check point), and then go car to car looking for bad guys and confiscating cell phones and weapons on major highways….ironic.”
– “Not only was this an illegal search operation, but this was a highly dangerous situation for the cars surrounding the armed bank robbers. Did the cops ever think about the lives of the citizens? A car chase would have been more safe than that.”
– “The gestapo put everyone on that road at risk. They don’t care, not even a little.”
– “The police state, when the police do things like this it makes people want to root for the crooks to get away….”
– “Which crooks? The gangs in military-type gear or the crooks that robbed the crooks that wear suits and ties. So many crooks, so little time…”
– “I have sat in DC traffic more times than I would like to remember and as if accidents and breakdowns and construction aren’t bad enough, now add bank robbery!!! And that is just driving up and down the east coast, as I don’t live there.”
– “The cops here shut down the freeway on the Monday morning commute for a 1,000 vehicle 20mph funeral procession for one of their own. The firefighters assisted by using their trucks and cars to block every overpass causing more havoc and 1.5 hour back ups. Cops on motorcycles would then harass and scream at any unaware motorist turning on to the on ramp or getting too close. It was a ridiculous abuse of power and should be outlawed.”
– “Should they have shut down the airports and searched everyone there as well, after all they MIGHT HAVE been trying to hijack a plane. They MIGHT HAVE been doing anything but that is no excuse for usurping 100’s of people’s Constitutional Rights and Freedoms while simultaneously putting those same people at risk to becoming a hostage or getting killed in crossfire from a resulting shootout in which they are sitting ducks with no means of escape (because the idiotic cops have created a traffic jam).”
– “Highspeed chases are wrong on so many levels. How would you feel if it was your family that ended up in the hospital with life threatening injuries? And Wells Fargo robs from so many people on a daily basis. Where is the high speed chase for that?”
– “Ummmm….didn’t the cops put all those people in danger of being held hostage at gunpoint by desperate bank robbers???
I’m not so sure that blocking a few hundred people in with armed bank robbers on the run is a very good idea.
Candidly, it doesn’t take a genius to see how much danger the police place so many members of the public in.
It makes me question the credentials of all involved.”
– “F@@k the Gestapolice and their disregard for people’s Constitutional Rights. They aren’t just stupid for putting all these people in danger, they are also treasonous criminals for disregarding their oath to uphold the laws of the land, the most supreme laws, to which all other laws must defer, being those of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.”
NOTE: This story is triple verified first hand, from people who were a hour and a half late for work due the massive traffic back-up caused by this half hour operation. – T.D.P. Admin.